March 25, 2017

Book Revew: Black Mass - Whitey Bulger, The FBI and a Devil's Deal by Dick Lehr


Whitey Bulger came to my attention after I saw 'Departed' in my college days. Wikipedia didn't do him justice at the time - hence, I was resigned to wait for a good movie/ book on his life.

'Black Mass' - the book helped me understand the rise of the mythical Bulger and John Connolly, more than 'Black Mass' the movie did. It seemed outrageous to me that an organization like the FBI would go beyond permitting to nurturing the rise of an organized crime boss. Though slow in parts, the sheer incredulity of the mythical FBI looking the other way as Bulger went about his merry crime ways was fascinating enough to keep me hooked.

The Bulger/ Connolly nexus was a major scandal in the US - and possibly I partly enjoyed the book more because I was aware of the enormity of the scandal. Readers who pick this book up off the shelf without context might not enjoy the book as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment