March 25, 2017

Book Review: Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang

I was directed to Ted Chiang's book from the movie "Arrival" which is based on one of the stories here. The movie itself was mildly disappointing with the central thread of thought seeming a little too thin to weave a 2 hour movie around.

However, the book itself is mind-alteringly brilliant. Just like the movie and Chiang's "The Story of your life" chapter which propose that learning a new language can change the way you think, this book will make you question reality, the future, God and everything else you take for granted. I enjoyed "Understand" most but every story deserves to be read and digested.

I got lost a little bit in the golem story (which is why I am rating this book 4/5) but overall, Chiang has made me question the adequacy of my own comparatively earthly ideas as an author myself. I can safely say Chiang's stories and ideas will haunt me for the rest of my life. And that is why everyone needs to read 'Stories of your lives and others' - to consume, understand and digest Chiang's universe that will make you question and acknowledge every little molecule you ever come across in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment