January 10, 2019

Book Review: The Ellimist Chronicles by K. A. Applegate

 Between my adolescence and adulthood, I lost track of possibly my most favorite book series ever - the Animorphs. Growing up, Applegate just wasn't releasing the books fast enough for me to read them - and it so happened that somewhere around Book #28, my academic studies overwhelmed my ability to keep up.

I chanced back on to Animorphs a month back, expecting to be completely hate or at least, dislike the books a bit. After all, despite the nostalgia, the books were meant for kids. Or so I thought.

'The Ellimist Chronicles' is a cracker of a science fiction book. Forget the "Young Adult", "For kids", etc. tags: the book is good enough to be read standalone by someone who has no clue about the Animorphs series. I have never read an author trying to take a crack at the creation of life itself, and Applegate does it spectacularly with this book.

The only reason I found it a little disconcerting is because I had no clue who the Ellimist was narrating his story to. I later learnt that this is the penultimate book in the series and hence, quite a lot had transpired in the Yeerk/ Andalite/ Human war. And thus, the confusion was warranted. Without that small issue, 'The Ellimist Chronicles' is a splendid timeless science fiction masterpiece for all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment