January 7, 2019

Book Review: Visser (Animorphs) by K. A. Applegate

I used to love Animorphs as a kid. The series was so much richer than the other "young adult" fiction that was peddled to us - more poignant, more 'science' in the fiction. However, as an adult I struggled to finish one of Applegate's books. The plot was just too thin for my grown-up sensibilities.

The reason I bought this special edition is because Applegate's special editions tended to have thicker, more complex plots (or so I recalled from my adolescence). In terms of plot, 'Visser' provides the complete backstory of Visser One (or Marco's mom) set as a trial where she is pitted against the formidable Visser Three. The parts of the book where the two Vissers butt heads are awesome; however, the battle scenes/ parts left something to be desired. A couple of plot devices seemed to provide too easy an out for the story, as well. Again, grown-up sensibilities.

Recommended for series aficionados, but not much anyone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment