January 22, 2014

Book Review: Born Standing Up by Steve Martin

Steve Martin, the perennially white haired Peter Pan who charmed us with his role in The father of the bride, was a stand-up comedian, long before he took to acting. This book is a chronicle of Martin’s years as a stand-up comic.

The book is one of those rare gems that somehow get hidden underneath the deluge of books the publishing industry throws up every year. When I began reading the book, considering that it was by renowned funnyman Martin, all I expected to get in return was a laugh or two. But what Mr. Martin so effortlessly did, instead, was to surprise me with his wit and the science behind his comedy.

Don’t get me wrong, there are parts of the book that had me in splits. But what mesmerized me completely were parts like the one where Martin explained how he made people laugh with pieces that were so absolutely unfunny. All he had to do build up tension- as he says in the book- and then having denied people the release of laughter (with a traditional comedian’s punchline), he would ensure that people found his performance funny throughout. It was so incredibly brilliant yet effortlessly simple a method of comedy that I was in awe.

Incredibly witty, self deprecating and poignant in parts, Born Standing Up was not the sweet aerated drink I had expected it to be.

Instead, it was the finest of aged wines. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment