July 31, 2018

Book Review: Molly's Game by Molly Bloom


I caught Molly's Game on a 14 hour long flight in which I also watched a lot of other good movies I had been saving up for the flight. Of American Made, Get Out, Game Night, Shubh Mangal Savdhan (borderline good) and The Titan (absolute dud Netflix original), Molly's Game stood out as probably the best movie I saw on the flight.

I usually do not buy books I have seen movies of (reverse is almost always true - I will almost always watch the movie rendition of books I have read). I believe mostly in the fact that an author with mere words and ink can not possibly compare with the magic a skilled movie-maker can conjure (Notable exceptions: Munich - based on Vengeance, Anna Karenina). I bought this book largely because it names Tobey Maguire and Ben Affleck, and because I wanted something to read (on the return leg of the long flight).

The book standalone is good enough; however, the movie is rather splendid. Characters like Houston Curtis, bad Brad and the Doug who speaks in riddles are just so much more fleshed out and colorful on screen than they were in the book. A notable exception is Tobey - who the book does more justice to than the movie did.

A decent read just for the incremental scoop on Tobey - but by and large, if you have seen the movie and the splendid Jessica Chastain as Molly on screen, no need to buy the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment