April 29, 2014

Book Review: The Animorphs Series

I haven’t read the 'Animorphs' in a long time but some of the best memories of my childhood are inextricably linked with reading Animorphs books growing up. I remember the books used to cost 100 bucks per book, fifteen years ago, which was quite a lot then. But I was so damn addicted to the series, that I would beg my mother to buy me one every month, promising to read it slowly enough to justify the expense. My mother, of course, would happily oblige.

Eventually, our school library began to stock up on the series and I could read the books for free. Especially interesting were the Megamorphs books, which were told in a unique narratorial style of different people narrating the story at different times. (Even in the Animorphs series, the character displayed on the cover would narrate the story.) The narratorial style influenced me so deeply that I wrote my first book in first person too (though my future books will probably not follow the same style.)

Growing up, Animorphs was my Harry Potter and I highly recommend it to teens and pre-teens (and by extension, their parents).

Sadly, I lost a large part of my Animorphs books to termites ten years ago. I sorely miss them; it is almost as if termites ate into my childhood and I am now stuck with being an adult. 

No comments:

Post a Comment