October 23, 2016

Book Review: Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1) by Lee Child


What I hate about the Jack Reacher series is that the climaxes are always somewhat disappointing... underwhelming. I have read two of Lee Child's Reacher books earlier but was put off by the bare-knuckled-ness of the climax. Unless writers can bring the science behind action scenes alive, I have always found them to be hard to believe.

With Killing Floor, I decided to go to Reacher's origins since I thought Lee Child must have done something right to get a series contract from his publisher. While overall the book was racy and an easy-read, I found Child to be very much an author writing his first book. The character shrug a lot, like once every half page... and every character - young and old, male and female - does that. Reacher is interesting and has smart insights as an ex-Military Policeman but the action scenes seem just too easy, the die loaded in Reacher's favor always.

I am going off the Reacher series now. Higashino has proved far too reliable in comparison.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

    ReplyDelete