May 21, 2012

The magic of words

There is this game I like to play with people who have read the novel. I ask them what does a certain character in the book look like?

It is amazing how almost everyone I asked this question described Bastard as tall, possibly dark, muscular/ rugged/ huge. Hari has been described as average looking, medium height, possibly with slight paunch. I am summing up here and there- for example, some people would have only said average/ okay looking for Hari while others would have said "not too tall not too short"- and I am adding up the comments.

The amazing thing is if you read the book carefully, I have described only and only one character's (Scooby's) physique (as tall and paper thin).

That, my friends, is how words conjure a character image.

That is the magic of words. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment