November 11, 2010

What's in a name?

How did we come up with the title? Well, I was very clear (had eventually became clear) that ‘God’ had to be somewhere in the title because it made the book sound interesting. In my own experience, I have never picked up a book that had a useless title (if I didn’t know the author himself).

When the writing started, I had started with the title “CV Point” in mind- something of an internal MBA joke- since everything in a B-school is about CV Points. Several people told me that this wasn’t catchy enough. The folder containing the various novel related docs/ jpegs/ etc on my laptop is still called CV Point, however.

My next choice was “If God were an MBA”. DV aka Dharam (who I talked to a month before going to the publishers) didn’t like it; said it reminded him too much of “If God was a Banker” which I didn’t want- considering the writing in IGWTBS and Ravi Subramanium’s horny novel is quite a class apart. The next solution that my brain threw up (whilst sitting in the FMS Delhi lawns with DV) was “If God went to B-school” which both of us instantly liked.

One of my earlier suggestions to MG had been “Delhi 7” which had seemed appropriate and catchy at the time. But “If God went to B-school” was a title none of us could resist, despite the fact that it still sounded similar to the Banker title. However, our case for the title was stronger- the central character fit with the title more than in ‘Banker’, where the justification for the title is somewhat, actually quite, childish.

The subtitle is MG’s creation. We sat for hours and couldn’t come up with one. We were clear that the word ‘love’ had to be there in it. We figured out millions of permutations but they were all rather cheesy or useless. Finally MG blurted “Would love follow him there?” out and the title was complete.

Just so you know the other permutations were:

Me vs. my MBA
The untold story of a B-School in the Recession

God of Delhi 7
The untold story of a Recession MBA

If God were an MBA
The untold story of a B-School in the Recession

If God went to a B-School
The untold story of a Recession MBA

My Recession MBA
The Chronicles of Delhi 7

If God went to a B-School
The Recession Story at Faculty of Management Studies

No comments:

Post a Comment